Monday, May 20, 2013

Pre Surgical Bloodwork

I feel all set! Got my blood work and EKG today. Nothing left to do except go through the "crappy", no pun intended, prep next Monday. Today I also scheduled an appointment with a Plastic Surgeon. I want to try and get all my ducks in a row for my impending breast surgery. So early July I have an appt. with a breast surgeon who will perform my double mastectomy and a plastic surgeon who will do the reconstruction. I want to know what's going to happen and if I'm even a candidate for the type of surgery that I want to have. That surgery scares the crap out of me. As a woman breasts are a part of you. You patiently wait as a pre teen for them to suddenly appear. You wait to wear your first training bra. I remember my first bra had tiny little tennis rackets in the front. In sixth grade I was called "stuffy", got to love kids. I didn't have big breasts, but I got them very early in my life. I feel my breasts did there job though. I got to breastfeed my son for 13 months! That was such an amazing experience. I really have no need for them anymore. I'll get newer, bigger, better ones right? The type of surgery I hope to get is a DIEP flap. That is where they take tissue from your abdomen and make breasts from it. So I guess the only plus is that you get a tummy tuck at the same time. BONUS! It's a very involved surgery that can last 6 -8 hours. My body will surely be scarred up for a while. I'll have to look past those scars and realize that they will fade eventually. This all scares the living crap out of me. What gets me through this is the fact that I am currently watching my Mom face a battle I NEVER want to endure. She is in pain daily. Especially during her chemo treatments. It sucks to feel so helpless. I wish I had a magic wand to make her all better. She truly is my hero. She was so sick on Saturday, but just HAD to go to Mason's gymnastic's program. It's the little things she doesn't want to miss. Here is a picture of my little gymnast and my HERO, my Mom and her husband Lou, my incredibly awesome StepDad.
 

Here is a link that explains the type of surgery I hope to have: DIEP FLAP http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/surgery/reconstruction/types/autologous/diep

No comments:

Post a Comment