Friday, May 17, 2013

A Few Small Changes

Yesterday Dr. D gave me a call and told me that I now had a new decision to make.  Really.  What now I thought.  Well apparently the Da Vinci robot that they were to use to do my surgery had a recall on the scissors due to "sparking" injuries.  Of course I don't want to be sparked, I thought. He said they will still do the surgery laparoscopically, but they are unable to get all of the cervix out that way.  So I had to decide if I wanted to leave a piece of cervix or also have them go in vaginally to take it out.  I opted for choice two.  I don't want anything left in there.  If I'm going through all this, they can take it ALL out.  He said the nice benefit of the robot is that they can get everything out with it and it makes it really easy to stitch the va jay wall to ligaments.  On the other hand by doing it the way I'm getting it now, I will only have 3 incisions, instead of 5 in my abdomen and since he's going in vaginally, he can get a tighter stitch on the wall to the ligaments.  Which makes me really happy.  Go ahead and Google vaginal prolapse pictures.  Yeah, I don't want that crap happening to me!  He says the recovery should be about the same.   He really is such a  nice guy and takes the time to explain all the reasons why and how things are done.

Before my surgery I had to have an IVP (Intravenous Pyelogram) done.
An intravenous pyelogram (IVP) is an X-ray test that provides pictures of the kidneys, the bladder, the ureters, and the urethra (urinary tract camera). An IVP can show the size, shape, and position of the urinary tract, and it can evaluate the collecting system inside the kidneys.During IVP, a dye called contrast material is injected into a vein in your arm. A series of X-ray pictures is then taken at timed intervals.

The reason I had to have this test done, was when I was 4 I had to have a ureteral implant.  I was born with two ureters on my right side.  The surgeons needed to know where they implant into my bladder.  They will be working very closely to that area so it's important they know where both implant to they don't cut one.  They are having a urologist come in during surgery to put stents into my ureters so they can see them easier.  Dr. G will be doing that for me.  I really like him.  He was to the point, funny and I felt comfortable with him.  I'm glad he'll be doing this part of the surgery.

Yesterday I started not feeling so good.  A touch of a sore throat, headache and just really tired.  I'm hoping it's just allergies.  I think it also could be I'm just run down and stressed.  Unfortunately I always seem to get a sinus infection in the spring and fall.  I called my Dr. and had them order me a Z-pack just in case.  I'm going to try not to take it, but I wanted to have it on hand in case I start feeling worse this weekend.  I absolutely can not be sick at surgery time or they can't do it.  I'm kind of glad that if I am getting sick it's happening now and not two days before surgery so it will be all out of my system by surgery day.  So until then I'm loading up on Lemonade Airborne and drinking a ton of fluids.

Here's a picture of my double ureters.





No comments:

Post a Comment